Film Terms: F

Back to Film Terms

A fade is an editing technique through which one shot transitions gradually into blackness, or vice vera.
A filter is a piece of glass or plastic placed in front of a camera lens or light in order to alter the transmission and/or capture of light. Filters are commonly used to change the color of lighting, protect the camera lens from UV light, darken the sky on bright days, and reduce reflections in glass and other reflective surfaces.
Foley is the act of creating and recording sounds to match onscreen activity. Typical foley noises include footsteps, punching, and doors opening and closing.
Foley Artist
A Foley Artist is the crewmember responsible for creating the foley sounds for a film production.

Back to Film Terms | E | G